Tuesday, October 31, 2006

MONEY BLOWING CEREMONY!!!





Hope all you guys had a safe diwali! All the blogs that I frequently visit have put up a post about diwali - The festival of lights and weird sounds! It is only fair that I give you the same shhhiiit sorry sweet in a different plate.

I didn’t celebrate diwali this time. Not that I didn’t want to, some relative of mine bid good-bye to this world, I was not supposed to. In a way saved me a lot of trouble. No getting up early in the morning! No crackers! No answering greeting calls from relatives! No shopping in the busy streets of T.Nagar!

Diwali had always been a festival more of sounds and less of light to me. Thanks to our education system they always come up with one exam date just after diwali. Thus forcing me to stay at home. All I could do was, hear the sounds of whistling rockets, bombs, ground charkas, 100 wala, 1000 wala, paper wala, cable wala, dhoodh wala etc etc(the last three generally turn up for some diwali gifts). Yes, I could also get to hear some weird natural sounds! Like when one of our family friends after feasting on lots of sweet tried to bend down and do a Namaskar I could hear a faint drum roll somewhere in the REAR!!!

Crackers are a big delight to watch. And when I saw watch I mean it to the H. I stopped bursting them sometime in 10th. When people ask me why? I simply give them a BIG lecture on Child labour! But to be frank it was due to the high price of the metre long AGAR BATHIS. Whenever I had to light a bomb I extend this LIT-METRE-LONG agar bathi to reach the wick. As already pointed out in one of my previous blog I am MYOPIC I wouldn’t know where the wick started or ended! And there I stick it bang in the black hole and BOOM. No time to run and the bathi going to pieces. I used one bathi for every bomb I lit.

Shopping for Diwali could be one hell of a painful task. It included buying dresses to all the needy and greedy in the family, sweets for all those who enjoy playing the drums and few crackers with a million bathis to light them! We generally spend about a day to shop. An hour to get few pants and shirts and the rest of the day for a SAREE! We avoid shopping at Ranganathan Street, which saved our race from getting extinct. Of course how can we forget the crackers? As my dad’s golden words sums it up “DON’T WASTE MONEY, BUY ONLY CRACKERS!!”

The shopping wouldn’t come to an end without having a bite at Saravana Bhavan. The place would be so crowded that a simple walk in and out of the hotel will get your hand soiled with sambar and chutney because somebody else used it to eat!

Aah! Phew…at the end of it Diwali is certainly a festival of lights. Bringing with it great joy! It also marks the end of your year long savings. After all why do we earn - to see it go up and burst into BRIGHT COLOURS!!!

15 comments:

dPaC said...

Machan awesome blog!!!! easily ur best!!!

n i just loved the first para!!! so true....

oh n btw change the display pic da fool....looks like u got steam rolled

Ken Macklin said...

I definitely agree with some of your viewpoints on DIWALI. It has become a festival of noise than light. But the sweets is one thing a person cannot deny. I saw your blog link on Orkut. Nice articles...keep it up!!!

Preethika said...

Wow! so this post is up....
>>I am MYOPIC I wouldn’t know where the wick started or ended
ha ha ha :-)

>>As my dad’s golden words sums it up “DON’T WASTE MONEY, BUY ONLY CRACKERS!!”
This is again awesome.....

>>>After all why do we earn - to see it go up and burst into BRIGHT COLOURS!!!

So true...

Awesome aravind!!! this was a good write-up...

Srijaikumar said...

Good One da...Keep going on...

Anonymous said...

include the post walla also in ur list of wallas:)..wonderful blog..

Unknown said...

machi gr8 one keep writin :)))

Unknown said...

Daai, naal poora alainjhi yaarukhu pudavaya yaeduththae? Unmaya chollu! :)

Mark IV S'nathan said...

machchi BLAST da... super... ana oru vishyam sollu diwali-ku adutha naal EMT exam irundhum namma Lagaan dhane paarthom eppo padichom??? angha dhan konjam odhaikudhu...

awesome dude

judgeAmerica said...

This, is actual legal notice - to quit and desist, from using the name "Voice of Freedom"! The name, "Voice of Freedom" is copyrighted! If you have not, deleted this Blog or otherwise, stopped using the name "Voice of Freedom" within 24 hours of this notice. The owner of this web site, will be notified of your copyright violation and further legal action, will be taken! This is the only warning that you will receive. govern yourself accordingly,

David Clarence: Expressly Reserving All Rights.

Sujit said...

Holy Crap.. Some random guy wants you to do time in an American jail for using "Voice of Freedom".
ha..and he says this comment is a legal notice. What next.. SMS the notice??
How could Voice of freedom be not free???
and hey.. maybe this is your opportunity to visit on-site!

btw.. good blog. Empathies.

Sujit said...

Hey.. Are you still moderating comments?

Unknown said...

machi machi...
diwali aniku pudu dressa potoma ...rendu vedia potoma...tv pathoma...nala saptu thoongnomnu...elam pakkava panitu poite irupom nangallam.....ada vitu potu...chinaa pilla thanamala iruku....

Unknown said...

A very simple blog with a good message. Keep it up!!
I have a different take on Diwali. Enjoy the lights but the wick and bathi need not be yours i.e. go to your terrace and see the fireworks. Chit chatting with friends under the brightly lit night sky is equally fun, if not more, when compared to bursting crackers. By this way, even if u are myopic u can enjoy and more importantly you can save a buck or two :).This time around, the noise was lesser when compared to yester years. Are people waking up or getting fed up? Eitherway it is good for us.

PS: The save a buck was strictly for Infoscions:)

amna said...

Hehe.. really started laughing when I read the Saravana Bhavan line.. subtle humour.. nice..

amna said...

pls pls pls write something.. keep it alive, arvind!