Monday, September 18, 2006

To B.E. or not to B.E.

As I write this I think about that one guy who screwed my life!! I am sure there is one in everyone’s life. This GUY WHO SCREWED MY LIFE (GWSML) has absolutely no connection with me whatsoever but still has made an unforgettable impact, making my past a daily remembrance in the present.
The only conversation that I ever had with this guy goes something like this

GWSML: Unga first choice yenna??? (What is you first choice?)

I: XYZ College

GWSML: Anga poi unga allotment order vangikonga…(Get your allotment order there)

B!@##$%%!!! U just asked my first preference!!! Who asked you to allot it!! Maaaannnnnn…aaaaaaaaaaaagh…

And that is it…my journey into the unknown started just there.

College was far from what I had thought. Spoilt by Karan Johar flicks I was expecting professors in mini skirts. But I was enlightened with the dress code that women were not allowed to wear anything else other than chudidhars! With the kind of girls around I later was thankful that such a dress code was in place.

Having gotten into electronics my dream was to make a radio on my own. Two years after completing college I am still trying to make one. I seem to have everything that is required to make a radio other than knowledge. I hope to complete it very soon.

My life was chaffed by the ignorance of the so-called professors of my college. Ruined by parts in the various years of my college life.

First Year:
The only person whom the whole class feared NIRMALA!! She tried teaching English. She was some gold medalist in Phonetics. I still remember the class when she asked one of my class mates “Where is your soos” (Supposedly Shoes). And the other time when she dictated “church for” (which probably was the phonetically correct way of pronouncing “search for”). She was particularly angry with me for not doing some paper presentation in English. She made sure she sent me out of her class lest she knew I was quite happy about it.

For some reason all the course books were prized too high. We had to stick to cheap XEROX of the books. The best part about these Xeroxes was that all the print will magically VANISH after the exam and thus can be used for taking notes in the next semester!!

Second Year:
We were spread among various classes based on our groups. This was the start of the electronics based subjects. So we particular didn’t have to carry knowledge of various subjects from the previous year other than English, which we were Suarrly more confident about. Thanks to Nirmala!!

The whole set of lecturers walked in with photocopies of materials and read from it. I always wondered why they couldn’t give one photocopy each and save all of us the trouble. We might as well read on our own. Nothing more can be expected from this CURRENT-YEAR-PASSOUTS-WHO-BECAME-LECTURES.

Heard of fines for failing in exam!! Oh yeah! My college had that too. The idea was that we will study for the exam to avoid fines, but we instead resorted to stealing the question paper. Many a times we would fail with the question paper in hand two days in advance either due to lack of materials or for the lack of patience to find answer in the material.

Third Year:
By now we all were sure that we could be good dacoits, smugglers, conmen but engineers!! The inter department cultural show was around. Guess what? AUDIENCE NOT ALLOWED!!! Just the participants and the judges; SOUNDS CRAZY!!! If it didn’t then drop me your mail-id I am sure we were classmates!!

The Q-paper stealing continued. Being wary about our deeds the Profs made the papers password protected. Thanks to WORD PASSWORD CRACKERS we unlocked all. By now Xerox shops around the city had grown and had started selling XEROXED-SPIRAL-BOUND-BOOKS.

Fourth Year:
Most of us had managed to place ourselves in various S/W companies. They took us probably because they were impressed by our COPYING skills. Now that we were placed, we were remotely bothered about studies. All we had in mind was to complete the course with no backlogs.
We also had to complete a project. We(me and my project mates) decided to buy one some place. Since I couldn’t find one (in our budget) in Chennai, we decided to go to Hyderabad. We got a project in my friend’s uncle’s factory. We got the project free of cost with absolutely no effort at all.


Now two years after my successful completion of my degree. I wonder if it was worth the lacks of money spent. With professors who were no better than the students and a mark-centric teaching system I am a B.E. on paper.

38 comments:

Unknown said...

1. Machi, nee ivlo naalum yosichi varuthapaduradhukhu nee poi ukaarndha idam KBC show illae da! Counselling'khum Amitab dhaan vaenum'nu adam pidikaradhu khonjham over! Avaru lock panniratuma'nu kaetu, kaetu unakhu seat allot pannura time'la first choice mattum illae, yaella choice'um poidum!

Namma college'la padikaama poirundhaaenae yaenna maadhiri oru nalla nanbhan kidachirupaanaa? :D Illae unnala dhaan yaenakhu gift'ndra paerula unakhu pidichadha yaellaam vaangikka mudiyumaa? Dhroghi!

2. Unna thoraththi,thoraththi kadala potta Maths ma'am pathi oru kurippum yaedhum illayae! Avangha idha padikum bodhu varuththa pada maataangalaa? Ippadi abalaighala urvaakuradha oru pozhappavae vachukittu alayuradhum over da!

dPaC said...

Awesome!!! ur best post yet

Anonymous said...

Pretty gud one..... a glimpse of ur 4 yrs of so called
'education - B.E'

- Jane

Anonymous said...

Good one dude :) You have learnt something about subtle humour i guess though there are times when the anger comes through :) I read it in the morning and it has raked up so many baaad memories that i am sure that the rest of my day is not going to go very well ........Especially the part about our phonetically correct Nimmi ...I still shudder at the thought of her " church as " and take downs and touch offs and her double degrees and her double graduate (B.E,M.B.B.S ) son and Shakil " Kill you with my crazed smile " Kripavathi , your horny maths teach ( i dont remember her name though :) i remember that she had a thing for you :) ) , "ID COD " principals and all the assorted odd balls screw balls and crazed lunatics who ruled over us and screwed our college lives around . :)

NK said...

Hmm.... It took you 2 years after completing u r college to think abt this...:)...

Many are wondering (including myself)with the question...What did we gain in those 4 years...? I would say FRIENDS...:) And the good time we had with them...the money, time, exams, out of mind lecturers,... everything is worth, for the friends we have in our lives...

BWT... The post,is great to read..:)

Arun said...

BE is no different dude.. Names difer but the Xeroxes don't.. Still that Xerox shop guy smiles at me whenever I go there.. Odru machine vetchu thodanginaan ippo he has many branches ellam enga(namma) kaasu

Of all the things of College education the best( & the only good thing u get) u get is Friends. Can't deny that..

Awesome post man.. Keep em comin.. Sarcastic Humor @ its best

Anonymous said...

Exquisite Title (To B.E or Not to B.E)

A subtle way of portraying one’s college life. Not a wee bit of exaggeration involved throughout.

A delightful read. Humor sprinkled in correct proportion.

Lines I admired:

Humor:

I seem to have everything that is required to make a radio other than knowledge

The best part about these Xeroxes was that all the print will magically VANISH after the exam and thus can be used for taking notes in the next semester

which we were Suarrly more confident about. Thanks to Nirmala!!

Guess what? AUDIENCE NOT ALLOWED

Nice formation:

making my past a daily remembrance in the present

HAREESH.S

Unknown said...

Wow this one was tooooooooo Good da.. The best of ur blogs..
I think it is very true and i too feel what i am doing after studying something (the way u have mentioned ;-))and working on something else...

Shalini said...

Was fun reading ur post...although B.E in B'lore was a lot different, when i t came to the kerosene xerox textbooks, the lecturers who had no clue what they were teaching us...and the never ending internals and exams, i think 8 sem 8 subjects each 64 finals and 3 internals each sem for each subject was crazy...we were spared enligh classes, although i heard students now need to learn kannada for engineering!! but B.E was fun for me...with all the extra-curriculars and do nothing till study hols...i recommended B.E as the easiest degree to get...
on a serious note, teachers lack the passion to teach and they turn the blame saying students are notinterested enuf...
its fun to read what u have written and however true...i still find it hard to believe culturals with audience...one of the colleges in b'lore had dress code for guys too ...and the princi would go tearing guys t-shirts if they dint follow the dress code...
not sure what can help students learn and get their money's worth, i agree what i paid for my B.E was way over what I think I got in return...

Anonymous said...

Gr8 Blog daaa....
very true...

Anonymous said...

After cribbing abt it for nearly everday, u seem to hav finally put it dowm... :-) B.E here will remain like this da, there is no solution. With a class strength of roughly 55-65 students per class, its almost like school if not worse. Moreover the amount of engineers graduating every year is phoenomenal. For Eg 1 useless bit of trivia: The state of Tamilnadu(mbe its enuf to consider chennai) produces far more "Engineers" in a year than a country like Belgium produces in roughly 4-5 years :-).
BTW if I am not wrong u chose the college Bcos Malli chose itt n drew a rosy picture :-).

Unknown said...

dude,
Great post da..
this post depicts the reality of how education system is degrading in tamilnadu(dono abt other states)...
With Engg seats assured for almost everyone ,i wonder where its gona lead us....
No one takes care really to understand wat we study and why do we need to study those(including me :-) ).
When i think of the subjects i studied and the job i do today,i feel sorry for myself for wasting 4 years...
too much feelings vendam....
machi whenever i cross ur collg(in our collg bus) i felt tat ur collg gals were far better thn my collg.....
u shud see gals in my collg......

keep writing..
-ramesh

Karthik said...

Phewwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!

it was a long journey!!!!!!!!!!

Karthik said...

Phewwww!!!!!!!!

pretty long journey!!!!!!!!!

Krithika said...

ok..thot u had stopped blogging..this is a nice post..:)

Unknown said...

Good show dude! Thats the exact same reason why companies expect only analytical ability out of a B.E student. The itsy-bitsy things which we learn from "other stuff" in college like stealing papers adds to our analytical repertoire[:D]. Definitely not the classes or exams. I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed the blog. Good title too! BTW I am offended because you havent added my name in the frequent visitors list[;)]

Unknown said...

Awesome da

Unknown said...

one more thing oru velai ellam ozunga nadanthu iruntha nee enna IIT Madras le Mtech panni irruka poraya enna
ithey Infy le ithey kuppaya thane kotti irruka pore
so roomba worry pannikathey

Nero said...

This is so damn true. My college was a shade worse, actually.
:D
Apart from the ppl met, those four years were simply a waste of time.

Srijaikumar said...

Machi, eventhough u are very critical resource in ur project...how come you are still thinking of your college life...good one da...:-)

The vetti guy said...

Dei, first of all, why this sudden burst velammal gaandu after all this time? and, r u planning to write something like this about infosys as well?

ur blog may seem interesting to a lot of people but not to me because we've been sharing these same thoughts for 4 years sitting in the last bench(except for 1st yr when we were in the first bench).

regarding ur comments about making a radio, i think its a bit too much. remember, we even won 2nd prize for demonstrating our FM radio transmitter in some college. And when i took you to the lab to do such things, all u were interested in doing was melt lead on the soldering iron and splash it on the table.

And, Nirmala... ha ha ha....
what a specimen she was...
but, i think u should have written something about ur adventures in the maths dept as well.


anyway, well written though.

sudarshan said...

Good one!!!

I cud easily relate to it :)

Unknown said...

except for the fact that this was the dumb four years of college for most of us guys, that was hilarious. god!!! thinking about college makes me sick!

hey change the blog background da.. not all that pleasing to read for long..

Anonymous said...

Good one :).

Unknown said...

Stephen:"And when i took you to the lab to do such things, all u were interested in doing was melt lead on the soldering iron and splash it on the table."

ROFLOL!

Preethika said...

Aravind!!!!

Dude!! Thanks a ton for a hearty laughter on this damn boring day in office.....

This is the tale for every other B.E in this college.... :-)

Awesome! i can relate to it every ounce... stealing, copying, "church it-lectures"!!
I gotta write abt my dear college soon..... :-)

Anuradha said...

Hi..

Too good... reminded me of my college days too...seems like all the colleges are same, be it Mumbai or Chennai... though my college was little better...

Sujit said...

This reminds me of one thing. Isn’t your project at ATIIT still pending? Thought you had plans of going back and completing it someday.

I've bookmarked your blog :)

Sujit ~ Tsu

Anonymous said...

ha..ha..cool...expecting another one on the same lines....(BEing SE) #$%@#^&*@^&......never ending

Shiyamala

Shareth said...

There was a huge thunder, the coffee cup on one of the tables fell, the birds were making a hell of a noise, my father slipped, the bus broke down, my shoes tore, my mom lost her watch, my grandmom lost her glasses....I went like a pudungi and said "Give me Velammal ECE.."..he asked 'second choice ennapa?'.."St.Joseph ECE"..:)) I was heavily misinformed at that time..some m.fucker said both these colleges are extremely good for ECE..wtf..

I have always wanted to punish myself for choosing engineering, that too velammal. Atleast my college life would have been better if I had chosen something else..
I switched fields but my masters thesis has radio frequency involved..lol..

Anonymous said...

nice one...i guess we all have the BE woes. But think about this...if you would not have cared about the 4 years of BE, you wouldnt have given so much of thought and written this blog. So bottomline is it was an experience in itself...which we would not have got thru any other degree :))

Anonymous said...

Good one. Nearly been there done that. Im a B.Tech dropout after 1 yr.
Life in engg clg is nearly the same.

Hey, the blog was meant to make u laugh. Thtas all. dont take it or me too seriously.

sabika said...

hey man i loved ur post!!!!
wel being an english honrs studnt ma self i know how bugging the phonetic teachr can get as in ...when she trys 2 pronounce ur name "phonetically "correct!!!..n ends up changing it all togther...or if she askes you...sAA-bik-AA*thats what she did 2 my name* is ur name persian ..n having no clu what it ment i went like yes ma'am!

awesome work keep writing

Anonymous said...

hey that was nice...
Liked everything, right from the name of ur blog.
it made a good read...

Anonymous said...

which coll were u in, btw?

Parag said...

a damn gud post raghu!...
It's t same everywhere in india....
nice post....liked it!

Parag said...

hey gem of a post raghu!
The scene abt engg is same everywhere.!...
bt who cares...!
it was nice readin u!

Unknown said...

hmmm this blog should be Rated (R) for explicit content regarding miniskirts and perverted ideas students having fancies about their professors...other than that a wholly humourous article.