Sunday, April 02, 2006

Theory Of Relativ(E)ity

29th May
Chennai

My tube of shaving cream was almost about to get over. It was sunday morning. The phone started to ring over the noise of the TV. NDTV was broadcasting an exclusive interview with Dravid. I saw my mom rushingfor the phone. From her conversation i could make out it was my uncle from the US. My mom went on updating him with the latest happenings in India. Realising that something was burning in kitchen, she pressed the receiver in my hand and dashed. He planned to visit India in mid June.

Following the age old tradition my Uncle asked me what I wanted from the US. What the heck! will he get me a Benz if i ask for one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things people get from US for their relatives in INDIA.

1) Family Packs of Gillette Shaving Cream/Gel/Foam
2) Razors with blades
3) Tooth Paste
4) Soaps
a)Camay
b)Oil of Olay(U need some 4 buckets of water to wash off once u use this soap)
c)Lux
5) Moisturising cream(Nivea)
6) Choclates(Twix, Mars, some Dubakoor* chocs by Hershey's
7) Cashew, Badam and raisins(Left with the person to whose house the US chap is visiting. All other relatives make a mandatory visit to this person just to collect their share.)

The above list is a generic one. Other commodities like Pea Nut Butter can be imported on demand.

------------------------------------------------------

Mid June....

So all set for my uncles visit i had to book for a cab and bring him from the Airport. The drive back home was seasoned with my aunt's(Born and brought up in Madurai maavatam) crib about traffic in India mainly and other issues in general. We reached home and i was asked to make train bookings for them; they had to visit my grandpa. First Class A/C, she stresses. Chennai is soo hot she exclaimed(Ever, visited Madurai people have baked arse for breakfast).

Days went past and finally my Uncle and Aunt went back to US after their vacation.


After few months...

We moved out of Chennai.


The following year...

My Uncle planned to visit again. This time the phone call went to my other aunt who now stays in Chennai.

And we visited them for our share of Badam, Cashew, pista,choclates.....

4 comments:

dPaC said...

Dude this post is actually better than ur previous one.... Good going, I think.....

Anonymous said...

Einstein's theory of Relativity was understood by very few and so does this one :):).

I think you have written about your relatives in general.

Do write on more general issues rather than targeting a specific group(What we call in group RELATIVE ATTACK :):)).

Anonymous said...

I would advice you to deactivate your blog account.

Anonymous said...

machi .. u rock .. as usual .. :)